Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A to Z Challenge 2010

Everyone seems to be joining many lovely looking challenges and I've been trying to keep an eye out for when they start in order to get in on the 2010 challenge action but without much luck so far. I did however find one that is starting up which fits in perfectly with my goal: the A to Z Challenge. I am choosing the 26 book author-based option. In short, you read a book per letter where the author's name starts with (in most cases) the letter. Naturally the books that I've picked have come from the 1001 list. Here is a working copy of my list:

The House of the Spirits Isabel Allende
The Sea John Banville
Breakfast at Tiffany’s Truman Capote
The Mandarins Simone de Beauvoir
Like Water for Chocolate Laura Esquivel
The Magus John Fowles
Cold Comfort Farm Stella Gibbons
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time Mark Haddon
A Pale View of Hills Kazuo Ishiguro
The Storm of Steel Ernst Junger
The Fan Man William Kotzwinkle
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold John Le Carré
Your Face Tomorrow Javier Marias
Suite Francaise Irene Nemirovsky
The English Patient Michael Ondaatje
Snow Orhan Pamuk
Exercises in Style Raymond Queneau
Jealousy Alain Robbe-Grillet
The Reader Bernhard Schlink
The Master Colm Tóibín
Rabbit, Run John Updike
Bartleby and Co. Enrique Vila-Matas
Brideshead Revisited Evelyn Waugh
Half of Man is Woman Zhang Xianliang
Kitchen Banana Yoshimoto
Nana Émile Zola

Some of my letters are coming from articles rather than the names- de Beauvoir for example- but I'm hoping no one will be too picky about that. It's about the reading, right?

I'm hoping that there will be a chunkster challenge this year. I think a few of these books are fairly large (some of them are nice and short as well). There is nothing quite so exciting as a chunky book. Roller-coasters are overrated- I get my thrills from long reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment